Monday, September 22, 2008

Checking the turf at the end of the 1980 season ...

Posted by Picasa
Left to right, JP (almost invisible at the left hand edge, but I assure you he's there), PWD, Richard Savage and Dave Southwood: you can see the care with which at the end of the season we replaced the turf. This was also the cutting which we surrounded with cow wire to minimise the occurrence of cowpats. (More on cowpats here) (JP tells me I'm wrong about this - he says it was pig wire - he's sitting next to me as I post this, having come to stay before a British Numismatic Society meeting).  What I recall is that one night as he and I were setting up the wire, I switched on the current without realising that John's beard was touching the wire. The charming noises that came from Mr Parry can readily be imagined by all those who know him.  (For those of you unfamiliar with cow or pig wire, you attach it to a 12 volt battery to give the cows a thrill.)  He has just confessed to me that he also remembers a morning when he got his beard caught on the wire as he leaned over to switch it off - much to Phil's amusement.  Once we can forgive John, but twice begins to make me wonder ...

No comments: