Friday, February 13, 2009

Dr Ferris has some questions ...

"Like Crickley Hill Man I was fascinated to see the latest C14 dates for various phases of the Hill's archaeological sequence. Where has Crickley Hill Man been all these years not to be intimately acquainted with the banana barrow? Leaving that aside, the long mound date is indeed very interesting. Am I right in thinking that there is a similar long mound at Maiden Castle? If so, and being a Romanist I am probably wrong about this anyway, is this of a broadly-similar date to the Crickley long mound? Perhaps Phil might be able to let us know.
 
Rather than Parry denims, legend and rumour has it that a pair of discarded green grollies in a soil sample might have been resposible for skewing previous carbon dates, as well as causing virulent panic in the lab during sample processing-whose could these have been?"

I'm not sure where I've been all these years, Iain.  But would someone please enlighten me about the banana barrow?  And what precisely are 'grollies'?  

Dr Ferris rejoins "In reply to Crickley Hill Man's query, 'grollies' are rather unsavoury underpants. It must be a midlands word I have picked up - heaven knows how. While I'd like to think that it was derived from 'Grolier' - 'relating to or denoting a decorative style of bookbinding using interlaced leather straps ... named after Jean Grolier de Servieres' - I rather doubt it." [I fear your doubts are well-founded - C-H-M.  And I still want to know about the banana barrow.]

No comments: