Saturday, August 2, 2008

For connoisseurs of dumper trucks ...


Top photo L to R: John Parry and Bernard Dawson, the latter dressed for a hockey match. The dumper truck was a vintage model which I think Richard Savage had managed to persuade a local business to lend to the dig for the duration. I recall the gearbox giving out. The model was so old that it predated synchromesh gearboxes: under the supervision and with the advice of John Boden I managed to fit a new gear and get it going again. This is a feat I am unlikely ever to repeat and I cannot recall from where we got the replacement gear: doubtless Richard would have had a hand in that. I originally posted this as either being 1978 or 1980.  I'm now sure that it was 1980 from looking at other photos, both mine and Dr Phillpotts's.

Bottom photo L to R: me, Dave Timoney and Paul Kubăs, re-turfing in August 1979. This dumper truck was a superior model that was considerably more powerful than the one above.

No comments: