Thursday, March 26, 2009

Crickley Hill Man in a hole ...

Posted by Picasa
Until I saw this picture taken by Jane Dineen, I'd forgotten how deep F3833 turned out to be. I seem to recall that there were a few, but not that many finds, in the upper layers and then it just went down and down. PWD decided in the end that it was a natural intrusion, I think. I'm glad that I am pictured sensibly wearing a hard hat. If the cutting edge had collapsed my body would have been recovered with the cranium intact if nothing else. But the world would have been rid of the random knit jumper a few years earlier. Note my forged tang trowel carefully balanced on a small ledge above my head.

On another matter entirely, Steve Vaughan recently wrote: 'The many trials and tribulations of the excavation currently being laid bare on the blog reminds me of another long-running Midlands-based soap opera that has recently been in the news. Is Crickley Hill Man aware of any connections there might be between the two?'.  

Blog readers may not know that for many years Crickley Hill Man has been fighting financial crime as an investigator at the Serious Fraud Office. Through that connection, it is time to reveal my other role in life assisting the BBC with 'The Archers'.  Matt Crawford's in a bit of a hole on the Archers at the moment as any readers who listen in will be aware. The Daily Telegraph had a piece about it the other day here.  Steve must still have the eyes of an archaeologist to have spotted that one ...

No comments: