Thursday, December 11, 2008

A culinary update from Tony Watts ...

Tony writes: "It's good to see that my meringue has been recorded in the annals of British archaeology - not so the sandwiches.  However I was happy to see my food referrred to as 'robust' - I think.  One year in celebration of something or other I made Rampart Cake which was very carefully detailed and bore some resemblance to the trench that had been cut through the rampart at the time.  I don't suppose anyone has a photo? I wish I had taken a picture at the time. Maybe Phil Dixon did?

The finer art of sandwich production began in Lydia's kitchen in 1969 during the Leckhampton dig. It was refined - if you can call it that - when we occupied the Ullenwood Camp in 1971. With the splendid post war kitchen facilities available were able to bang out 100's of sandwiches. I do recall one year we had a sandwich riot because we had the same fillings for 3 days in a row. I believe Terry was the ringleader but details fade with time."

No comments: