Friday, January 9, 2009

Can anyone assist Dr Ferris?

Iain writes: "I was pleased to see that featured in the most recent dig photo posted on the blog by Crickley Hill Man was Robin Hall in his trademark white bush-hat. Robin was without doubt one of the nicest people I ever met at Crickley and I recall we had great fun joshing and jesting with each other when we supervised adjacent cuttings in either 1975 or 1976 (I cannot remember which). Robin was a gentleman of the old school, hugely knowledgeable and full of interesting and amusing stories, as well as being an excellent archaeologist. Does Crickley Hill Man have any other pictures in which Robin features more prominently, as it would be good to see these on the blog in the future?"

Alas, that's the only one of Robin that I've got, but I will happily post any others that are sent to me. A consultation of "Crickley Hill: the Hillfort Defences", 1994 reveals in the acknowledgements at p3 that Robin supervised 1976 to 1978 which may assist Iain's memory.  I think that he may also feature in the 1970 photograph on p43 ...

No comments: