Friday, January 16, 2009

CH 1990 Richard Ozanne & a cast of thousands ..

Posted by Picasa
Well, cast of thousands is the caption Dr Phillpotts put in his album: I counted parts of at least 38 people in the photo but what intrigues me, as I was not present, is why everyone is facing the same direction. Plainly there must have been some entertainment or lecture of some kind that caused the assembly ... does anyone recall what was happening in a southwesterly direction? 

Fiona Wilkes (formerly Sharpe, who dug at Crickley from 1989 to 1993) writes: "Was this anything to do with the season when Channel 4 came and did a 'Down to Earth' programme which I think was their first attempts at bringing archaeology to the masses? I think they did a feature on the long mound from what I can recall as my hand trowelling featured in the opening credits. The main star of the show was an American girl called Trish. Just a thought??"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was this anything to do with the season when Channel 4 came and did a 'Down to Earth' programme which I think was their first attempts at bringing archaeology to the masses? I think they did a feature on the long mound from what I can recall as my hand trowelling featured in the opening credits. The main star of the show was an American girl called Trish. Just a thought??

Fiona Wilkes said...

The previous comment was left by me.......those digging at CH would know me as Fiona Sharpe, I am now Fiona Wilkes. I dug at Crickley from 1989 to 1993.

Eric van Dorland (NL) said...

Fiona is absolutely right, this picture was taken during filming on August 10th 1990 (I dug my diary from back then). Trish -by the way- was elected 'Favourite Foreigner', alongside Mr. Crickley: Dave and Mrs. Crickley: Jill.