Thursday, January 1, 2009

The one that got away ...

Ferris's ferreting continues: "I hadn't realised that Crickley Hill Man did not have an 'All Categories' search set up on his eBay for Crickley ephemera, as I fear that he may have missed out on a few interesting items as a result. A few weeks ago, while principally looking for the elusive first vinyl single by The Sound ('the missing link between Joy Division and Echo and the Bunnymen', as I'm sure Crickley Hill Man is all too aware) I put Crickley into the search and came up with a vintage postcard showing 'The cafe on Crickley Hill', a card probably dating to the early 1900s. I did wonder where on the hill this cafe was sited but unfortunately forgot to ask Crickley Hill Man if his unrivalled knowledge of the later history of the hill included the existence and location of this ancient feeding establishment for weary travellers and visitors."

I shall keep an eye out for such things from now on: has anyone else ever heard of a cafe on top of the hill?

No comments: