Sunday, January 11, 2009

Jim Irvine finds a reference to Crickley Hill in 'The Times' ...

Good spot by Jim Irvine: he emails to tell me that there's a reference to Crickley Hill in this piece by Norman Hammond in 'The Times' on 9 January 2009.  The article's headline is "Radiocarbon dates indicate early Irish were just visiting". I was wondering what on earth Jim had sent me when I saw "life_and_style" and "court_and_social" in the URL, but it seems that's where the Thunderer's web editors file archaeological pieces these days!  Don't think that's where the Dewey decimal system would put it, nor would it be the first place I'd think of, but there we are. Actually, I'm being a bit naughty saying that, because the Court & Social, now that I reflect on it, has been the page where archaeological articles have appeared in 'The Times' for most, if not all, of my life.  I take it back! The article itself is rather interesting and refers back to a piece that Normand Hammond wrote about Crickley Hill more than 31 years ago - 7 November 1977.

No comments: