Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dear old Ullenwood ...

Posted by Picasa
I'm gradually working my way through scanning the many photographs that people entrusted to me over the reunion weekend. Mike Sims very kindly lent C-H-M the photos he took in the summer of 2004 just as Ullenwood was being demolished. It's almost brought tears to my eyes to see some of the destruction wrought upon the place, but we're very lucky that Mike had the foresight to capture the camp on camera just before its final demise.

Here's a splendid spliced-together shot of the dormitories from the top end looking back down towards the mess hall. I can't work out what the climber is that's grown all the way up the back of Dorm 4 but there's plenty of Rosebay Willowherb (Epilobium Angustifolium) growing between the dormitories as it always did. Curious how much affection one can feel for some old bits of corrugated iron ...

No comments: