Thursday, November 27, 2008

Guess what was going on here ...

Can anyone help with what Dr Phillpotts is about here: rapt attention all round? I only know because of the caption that accompanied his archive when he sent it to me. This is during a 1982 party... L to R: Alex West, Mike Adams, Duncan, Gail Boyle, Dave, Ambrosio, Rhian Locke, Franklin, John Gale, Jane the Scot and the Chronicler himself presiding. Update: Steve Vaughan writes: "It's the wedding. Rhian is being joined in unholy matrimony with the hapless youth on her right by the hanging judge himself. John Gale acting as best man, I think. 1982?." Correct on all counts Steve, and amusingly different from your beloved's answer which was as follows: I think Phillpotts may have been presiding over the annual Awards - certainly Ambrosio was voted 'Personality of the Year' one season, and I think I have a hazy memory of this party. Was John Gale ever 'Mr Crickley' - I don't remember. In fact the biggest surprise of this picture is I don't ever recall Mr Gale being that darned handsome in a Village People meets Errol Flynn sort of way. On Mr Crickley - for some reason we still have one of the limestone Mr Crickley plaques in our hallway. Last time we moved - the removal man picked it up and said "Who's Mr Crickley then .... a dog?"

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the wedding. Rhian being joined in unholy matrimony with the hapless youth on her right by the hanging judge himself. John Gale acting as best man, I think.

1982?

Essex Voices Past said...

I think this was earlier then 1982. I hung around in the same group as Alex, Mike and Dan and think that this was in 1980. Possibly the other photos that have Alex and Dan are also 1980. Unless they both did 2 seasons although I can't remember them being there in 1982. I could be wrong tho